People flying from Heathrow Terminal 5 can now obtain a VAT Refund by Appointment, enabling customers to reclaim their tax when leaving the UK
In the UK, VAT is charged on many goods and services. The Retail Export Scheme allows non-EU residents (basically anyone who is leaving the European Union) to claim a VAT refund on most goods that they have purchased in the UK.
Tax refunds are paid in cash in pounds sterling or the customer’s currency of choice. Customers are required to provide:
- The tax-free goods they purchased
- Original store receipts
- VAT refund forms
- Passport and boarding pass as proof that they are taking the goods out of the EU.
“Tax-free shopping is one of the great benefits of coming to the UK,” explains John Rayment, UK Commercial Director, Travelex. Their new service means customers can now book private refund appointments for a fast, efficient service at a time convenient to them.
“We recognise that our customer’s time is precious. This new, exclusive experience will ensure customers can complete their VAT Refund in a relaxed environment, safe in the knowledge that their refund will be completed in a timely fashion,” Rayment continues.
What is the Service?
The appointment service offers:
- Private, one-to-one consultations at a screened desk within the VAT refund by appointment office
- No waiting time – all appointments at a fixed time arranged in advance
- Meet-and-greet welcome at the door
- Help with form filling, if needed
- English, Arabic and Chinese-speaking hosts (subject to availability)
- Personal reminder by phone 24 hours before your appointment (where possible)
An appointment can be made at any time. Bookings are made online in advance at www.travelex.co.uk/vat-refund-by-appointment. VAT Refund by Appointment costs £120, charged at the time of the appointment.